If you filed Form 1040-X to amend a prior year’s tax return, the IRS provides some online resources to assist you in tracking the status of your Amended Tax Return submission.
However, don’t expect immediate results. It may take up to three weeks for your case to appear in the IRS’s “Where’s My Amended Return?” database.” tool.
Remember that you may be tracking your files for some time before taking action. According to the IRS, processing your Amended Tax Return can take up to 20 weeks.
What information will I need to track my amended return?
Before tracking your amended return, you must provide basic information to confirm your identity.
READ ALSO: Amended Tax Return Deadline is Extended in California, Gov. Newsom Says!
When you log in or call, you should have the following information ready:
- Your Social Security or Individual Tax Identification number.
- Your birth date.
- Your postal code.
Your amended return has been submitted.
When you file your amended return, the IRS has completed its review of your submitted documents. “You will receive all information related to its processing by mail,” says the IRS.
Why is it taking so long to process my amended tax return?
An error on your return can sometimes slow down the IRS’s process of reviewing your amended return. This could imply that the process will take longer than 20 weeks.
According to the IRS, the following factors may cause delays:
- Your amended return contains errors and needs to be completed or signed.
- The IRS may have returned your return to you, requesting additional information.
- Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, is included in your amended return.
- There is a problem with identity theft or fraud concerning your amended return.
What if the IRS tool fails to locate my amended tax return?
Several factors could prevent you from looking up your status on the “Where’s My Amended Return?” tool. According to the IRS, here are some possible explanations.
- Your amended return is for corporate taxes.
- Carryback applications and claims are included in your amended return.
- Your amended return now consists of a foreign address.
READ ALSO: IRS Tax Refund Status: How Many Days Until I Get My Refund?