TV Market: Nielsen DMA #28*
Team: Albion Pros – NPSL – Both USL and NASL are rapidly trying to stand up franchises in SD.
Venue: A proposed $200M stadium that could be shared with San Diego State University at the site of the existing Qualcomm Stadium
Money: Investment group led by Mike Stone (FS Investors) and Steve Altman (formerly Qualcomm)
Summary: Don Garber visited San Diego to publicly accept the ownership group’s MLS application aboard the USS Midway. Since the ownership ship group went public with plans on 1/23 and submitted their bid, the group has been relatively quite. There is a lot of detail to be worked through for the stadium proposal, specifically related to acquiring the land and getting city and/or public approval for the project.
Recent News & Resources:
- 1/6 – USL and NASL rumored to be starting franchises in San Diego [Soccer Nation]
- 1/12 – San Diego Chargers leave for Los Angles, leaving void in San Diego sports market. [S.D. Union Tribune]
- 1/13 – Garber speaks to San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer about expansion after departure of the Chargers [MLS]
- 1/15 – Not everyone in San Diego wants MLS…”soccer is never, ever going to be the answer. It’s soccer.” [S.D. Union Tribune]
- 1/23 – The ownership group (previously unnamed) was confirmed and they report plans to build a privately funded $1B multi-use complex, with a $200M stadium that an MLS team could share with San Diego State University. [San Diego Tribune]
- 1/23 – The investors would purchase the land at market value from the city and the city would agree to share maintenance costs. An urgent adoption of the plan by the city is requested by January 31st. [NBC7 SD
- 1/27 – San Diego’s ownership group has ties to the Sacramento Kings (former), Qualcomm, and the San Diego Padres. [Soccer Nation
- 1/30 – San Diego formally submits its MLS application with a ceremony including Don Garber aboard the USS Midway. [SD Union Tribune
- 2/6 – Acquiring the land to build that stadium could be problematic and the ownership group will likely try to avoid a public vote. [Voice of SD]