TV Market: Nielsen DMA #31*
Team: San Antonio FC – USL
Venue: Toyota Field would be expanded to at least 18,000 seats, possibly larger (plans not yet public). The stadium was originally built for NASL’s San Antonio Scorpions (dissolved), and is now owned by the city of San Antonio. Expansion would be funded publicly by San Antonio and Bexar County.
Money: SSE (Spurs Sports & Entertainment), ownership group of the San Antonio Spurs
Summary: San Antonio’s ownership group (SSE) plays their cards extremely close to the vest, so it’s difficult to say what’s going on behind the scenes. Brian Straus released his MLS expansion profile for the city in late January, giving everyone a little peek behind the curtain. SSE submitted their MLS application on January 31st along with the other 12 markets. On 2/9, San Antonio FC announced an affiliation agreement with NYCFC.
Recent News & Resources:
- 10/3 – San Antonio FC’s successful first season in USL. [Soccer Stadium Digest]
- 12/15 – Bexar County is exploring funding for Toyota Stadium expansion. [Business Journal]
- 1/15 – Report that discusses the implications of the San Diego Chargers move on San Antonio and questions the price tag of public funding for the stadium expansion. [Rivard
- 1/25 – San Antonio MLS Expansion Profile – Brian Straus [SI
- 1/31 – SSE submits MLS application on January 31st. [KVUE San Antonio]
- 2/1 – Renovations to Toyota Field could cost upward of $100M, but the stadium is already built so San Antonio believes it has an advantage. [KSAT 12 San Antonio]
- 2/2 – A local news outlet gives the San Antonio MLS bid long odds to secure a spot. [My SA
- 2/9 – San Antonio FC announces 2017 affiliation with New York City FC. [San Antonio FC]