TV Market: Nielsen DMA #29*
Future Team: Nashville SC – USL, to begin play in 2018
Venue: Stadium plans are in the early stages of development. The most promising idea includes a partnership with Vanderbilt University to build a stadium at the Fairgrounds in Nashville.
Money: Investment group led by John Ingram (Ingram Industries), no official ties to Nashville SC
Summary: Nashville’s mayor recently joined the effort to bring MLS to town and affirmed that the Fairgrounds location is the best possible stadium site. Investors are targeting to have details of a public/private funding proposal in place by June. The Nashville group submitted their MLS application on January 31st.
Recent News & Resources:
- 12/19 – A bill was introduced to the state of Tennessee legislature that will help pay off future debt on a new soccer stadium. [Tennessean]
- 12/20 – Local businessman with ties to Vanderbilt University, John Ingram, is announced as leader of Nashville’s MLS bid. [Tennessean]
- 1/17 – Nashville’s ownership group is exploring a partnership with Vanderbilt University on a stadium, but the site of proposed stadium is still uncertain. [Nashville Business Journal]
- 1/18 – Nashville MLS Expansion Profile – Brian Straus [SI]
- 1/26 – Mayor Megan Barry announces support for the bid and involvement in the application process. She emphasizes that the Fairgrounds is the most suitable location for a new stadium. [Fox 17 Nashville]
- 1/30 – Mayor Barry makes a public appearance to discuss the stadium and support the MLS bid. She sets a June timeframe to finalize a funding proposal for a stadium at the Fairgrounds location. [Tennessean
- 1/31 – Nashville submits its MLS application. The article includes a video submitted with the application. [WSMV 4 Nashville]
- 2/1 – Lead investor Ingram meets with MLS executives for the first time in person on the application due date. [Tennessean]