TV Market: Nielsen DMA #13*
Existing Team: Detroit City FC – NPSL – Detroit City FC is unlikely to be the MLS expansion team given the ownership group and supporter opposition to MLS expansion.
Venue: Proposed $1 billion mixed-use stadium complex on the site of the stalled Wayne County jail project in Greektown
Money: Investment group led by Dan Gilbert (Cleveland Cavaliers / Quicken Loans) and Tom Gores (Detroit Pistons)
Summary: Wayne County announces that it will move forward with the county’s stalled jail project unless an acceptable proposal for the property is submitted by February 10. This site has been the target location for the Detroit MLS stadium. The ownership team of Gilbert & Gores plans to submit a proposal to acquire that site before the February deadline. The Detroit bid submitted its application on 1/31.
Recent News & Resources:
- 12/12 – Article explaining the anti-MLS sentiment of Detroit City FC supporters [SB Nation]
- 12/24 – Report that there is no deal yet for Gilbert and Gores as they attempt to secure the Wayne County Jail Project site [Crain’s – registration required]
- 1/18 – The Detroit MLS investment group reports that they are on track to submit their MLS application on time at the end of January. [Detroit Sports Nation]
- 1/28 – The Detroit MLS bid’s target stadium location is no longer an option, unless a deal can be rescued by 2/10. [CBS Detroit]
- 1/30 – Gilbert & Gores will submit a proposal to redevelop the jail site before the 2/10 county deadline. [Crain’s]
- 1/31 –Detroit submits its bid for MLS expansion. This thorough article includes a stadium plan and quotes from Alexi Lalas on the prospect of MLS in his hometown. [Crain’s]