Discussion: MLS Cup: Portland or Atlanta?

Home Forums Off-Topic Discussion: MLS Cup: Portland or Atlanta?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Walker 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Geoffrey Tebbetts
    Participant

Does Atlanta’s aggressive offense and home crowd win the “Nagby Derby”? Or does Portland play the “road warrior” card one more time?

Comment here or on your preferred social media outlet.

NOTE: You have to provide a first name and an email address to comment. The email address will not be shown, is not seen by Orange & Blue Press, and cannot be used to spam you. It’s used to identify when the same person commenting. You can use a bogus name and email if you want.

#30225 Reply

Geoffrey Tebbetts
    Participant

Personally, I find Atlanta to be one of the more intimidating sites to play, but Portland faces that every year in Seattle. The Timbers even managed a 1-1 draw at Atlanta earlier this year. I don’t think the audience and noise levels will affect the team as much as Atlanta’s offense will keep Portland on their heels all day. The 5 Stripes haven’t been held under a goal at home since a 2-0 loss to Sporting KC in May, and that was more from a red card given to Guzan in the first half.

Portland, meanwhile, is 0-3-3 against the East in away games with a -8 goal differential. If the Timbers can keep this game low-scoring, maybe they have a chance, but I don’t think the statistics favor Portland at all. Picking the ATL to win 3-1.

#30226 Reply

Michael Walker
    Keymaster

I’m in for Atlanta. They have too much talent plus that home-field advantage. I was pulling for NY in the semi-final mostly because it just seemed too easy for Atlanta to come in and win the league in the second year. But I respect the investment they’ve made in every aspect of their team and they are reaping near immediate rewards. They’ll likely look quite a bit different next year with Tata and big-name players leaving, but I’m excited for both the home and away matches against them next season.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Discussion: MLS Cup: Portland or Atlanta?
Your information: