Discussion: Osvaldo Alonso to FC Cincinnati?

Home Forums Roster News Discussion: Osvaldo Alonso to FC Cincinnati?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Walker 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

[caption id="attachment_30133" align="alignnone" width="1200"] Photo Credit: Jim Culp[/caption]

Reports surfaced Wednesday linking FC Cincinnati and Orlando City SC with Seattle Sounders captain Ozzie Alonso. The 33-year-old Cuban midfielder has been with Seattle since 2009 but is set to enter free agency this offseason.

Is Alonso a good fit for FC Cincinnati and can they land him?

Here are some good resources on the player to inform your comments:
    Osvaldo Alonso is Sounders latest captain to enter Free Agency  – Sounder at Heart – information-rich article with information on the player’s background and free agency situation
    Osvaldo Alonso – Player Profile – Seattle Sounders – detailed year by year details of Alonso’s career from the Sounders official site
    Osvaldo Alonso – Player Profile 2018 – Transfermarkt – independent player profile providing current market value

NOTE: You have to provide a first name and an email address to comment. The email address will not be shown, is not seen by Orange & Blue Press, and cannot be used to spam you. It’s used to identify when the same person commenting. You can use a bogus name and email if you want.

#30138 Reply

Steve

Alonso has had a great MLS career, one of the best MF in the league for a long time…his experience and understanding of the league could be quite influential for FCC’s first year in the MLS.

However, I would pass due to his age, recent injuries and likely impact to the team’s cap.

#30143 Reply

Michael Walker
    Keymaster

The prospect of Alonso and Alashe at the base of FC Cincinnati’s midfield is tasty, and Koch definitely likes his 4-2-3-1 and defensive midfielders. Alonso’s a leader, a former captain, and a former DP, so he fits the character and experience mold that Koch likes. Personally, I love the fact that he’s a former USL and Charleston Battery player that made his way to the top in MLS. There’s a lot to like. There are some question marks as well though, age and his injury track record in particular. It wouldn’t be a long-term acquisition, probably 1-2 years at the most. But he’d be a great guy that’s won everything in MLS to lead the locker-room for our first MLS season.

Like most things, it comes down to cost, but I would probably do it if I were Koch/Sassano if they price is right. You’re paying a premium for leadership over a short-term time horizon, but I think its worth it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Discussion: Osvaldo Alonso to FC Cincinnati?
Your information: