When planning meals and snacks, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages consumers to fuel for the future. The campaign theme for the Academy’s 2023 National Nutrition Month®, which begins in March, is Fuel for the Future.
“Food is the fuel that keeps your body running smoothly throughout your life, so give it the nutrients it needs to meet each life stage,” says Amy Bragagnini, a registered dietitian nutritionist based in Grand Rapids, Mich.
READ ALSO: National School Lunch Program Fights Off Malnutrition
During National Nutrition Month® and throughout the year, Bragagnini offers the following tips:
- “Eat more plant-based meals to reduce your environmental impact. Purchase foods with as little packaging as possible. Buy seasonal foods and shop locally whenever possible.”
- “Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN specializing in your needs. Discover how your nutritional requirements change over time.”
- “Organize your meals and snacks to stay nourished while saving money. Make a grocery list. Learn about local resources, government programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, and local food banks.”
- “Eat foods from all food groups, whether fresh, frozen, canned, or dried. Incorporate your favorite ethnic foods and traditions into your meals. Avoid fad diets that encourage unneeded restrictions, and practice self-love.”
- “Learn how to make tasty foods at home with new flavors and foods. Instead of throwing away leftovers, think of creative ways to use them.”
National Nutrition Month®.
During National Nutrition Month in March, the Academy hosts resources on its website to encourage people to make informed food choices and develop healthy eating and physical activity habits that they can maintain throughout the year.
On March 9, the Academy will observe the first Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered Day, to recognize the contributions and experience of NDTRs, who are essential members of health care and food service management teams as part of the celebration of National Nutrition Month.
READ ALSO: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program average response time, CalFresh Benefits