The payments are implemented by Winter Energy Relief Payments of Maine which will start to distribute at the end of January.
The Winter Energy Relief Payments
The Emergency Winter Energy Relief Payments are $450 direct checks to eligible Maine. These payments are part of a huge Emergency Winter Energy Relief Plan proposed by the Governor and approved by the state Legislature as an emergency measure.
Approximately 880,000 Maine residents are eligible for payments to support the resident by putting money back into their pockets to help with high energy prices this winter.
How To Be Eligible For The Payments?
According to The Sun, to qualify for energy relief payments, you must meet a certain set of criteria.
The estimated 880,000 eligible Maine residents who will receive these payments must have:
- Filed a Maine income tax return by October 31, 2022, as a full-year resident of the State for the tax year 2021;
- Declared a federal adjusted income (FAGI) for the tax year 2021 of smaller than:
- $200,000 for individuals filing for a married joint return or surviving spouses permitted to file a joint return;
- $150,000 for an individual filing as a head of a household;
- $100,000 for a single individual or a married individual filing a different return and may not be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return for the tax year.